Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Don't Be Just.

I hear this day in and day out from all walks of life.

"I'm JUST a factory worker. (or insert any job here)"
&
"It's JUST a job."

I especially hate this last one. I have always been one to be proud of the job I do for my employee. Even as a factory worker I never thought of it as JUST a job. I always felt that I was an important cog in the wheel that supplied customers with products that in some and most cases, they depended on. Most employees just show up, do a job and go home.
For the most part this is what I did. The difference is that in between my start time & end time, I actually cared about the job I was doing. The way I see it, is you should care about your job too. Why? Because that job, no matter how much you hate it, is the reason that you do things that you enjoy & are able to provide for yourself or family. Now, if it doesn't do that because I know there are many places that underpay their hard working employees, there is always the option to look for another job. Easier said then done I know but it's always an option.

Now, back to that first one. Do not ever think that you are "JUST" something. Whether you are a garbageman, a doctor, a factory worker, or engineer, you have the option to be the BEST at what you do. How amazing is that? I guarantee you that if you have this attitude, you will strive in other parts of your life. You might want to be the best husband/wife, father/mother, artist/writer, musician or anything you want to do or be in life. It will give you the drive and the experience to know how to improve every aspect of your life that you want.

I understand not liking your job or place in life but you have to know that if you just tweak things a bit, everything could change in an instant.

If you are an employer, I give you a challenge. Find a way to make your employees care about your company/product. If you are asking me how to do this, I am not a 100% sure but I do have one suggestion. Put people on your management team that care, sometimes caring is infectious and if you put people in charge that care, then in turn the employees have a very good chance of doing this as well.

I firmly believe that caring in general is the key to life. If you care, and it has to be caring about something other than just yourself, than you can make a difference no matter how small it is in this world.

So next time someone asks what you do or who you are, don't be just!

R.T. Ewell-

No comments:

Post a Comment